Saturday, September 10, 2011

ImagiNation musing

Starting ImagiNation projects seem to be all the rage in my extended group this year. ImagiNation in a nut shell is alternate world wargaming, but for history buffs. Create your own country, units and uniforms and play against other like minded individuals. Given that I'm a history major, sometimes I get tired of having to do research into exact uniform patterns and colours and with ImagiNation, its nice just to sit down and paint what I want.

For this project, my nation is set in the mid-18th century (Seven Years War) and uses mostly Crusader USA figures with a smattering of Front Rank for command and cavalry. Why Crusader? Well on top of having fantastic sculpts for the price point, they also come in packs of 8 figures, which happens to be a group with the Too Fat Lardies rule set Sharp Practice. While I do find that Crusader figures happen to be on the larger side of 28mm ones, they rank up alright with Front Rank ones, with FR being slightly smaller, closer to Perry Miniatures.

Last weekend I managed to break my painting rut by finishing off a trio of command for my yet to be ordered line infantry. From there I cruised to finishing off the whole Grenadier Regiment. While only 16 line and 3 command, its not exactly a ground breaking in term of volume, but its a start. After I finish painting the skeleton of each unit, I will expand each of them slightly to bring to full strength. In the case of my Grenadier regiment, I will simple add a third unit of 8 figures.




1 comment: